Applying for and managing a student overdraft
The need to knows
- We offer an interest-free overdraft of up to €2,500 depending on whether you receive a grant and the course you are studying
- If you receive a grant, you can apply for up to €1,500, depending on your grant level. If you don't, you must be an existing Ulster Bank customer for 12 months to apply. The maximum amount you can apply for is €750
- Students of medicine, dentistry, law, accountancy, pharmacy, optometry, physiotherapy and veterinary science can apply for up to €2,500
- Overdrafts have to be repaid within one year of finishing your course
Changing your limit
It's easy to change your limit, simply follow the application process below and tell us the total amount you would like, rather than the amount you want to increase or decrease your overdraft by.
To completely remove your overdraft limit, enter '0' when asked for the total limit you require on your account.
Ready to get started?
To apply online you should:
- Be aged 18 or over, living in the Republic of Ireland
- Be registered for Anytime Banking
- Have an Ulster Bank Student Account
- Use the account as your main account by withdrawing money at least three times a month and making at least one lodgement each quarter
- Ensure your account remains in credit for 30 days each year
You will also need a valid contact telephone number. You can provide your landline number when you apply. Please ensure your mobile number is up to date before you apply. You can amend your number in the “Your Details” section of Anytime Banking.
If you are approved for an overdraft, the credit limit you receive will be based on our credit assessment of you. This limit may be lower than the credit limit you have applied for but will not exceed the amount that you have applied for. If you are not happy with the limit, or it does not meet your needs, then you have the right to cancel your credit agreement.
We will also ask for a review date for your overdraft. Please enter your graduation date when asked for this.